Friday 9 April 2010

Inspiration: Beksinski

Over the past few days I have been trying to come up with a visual style for the infected wildlife from the pollution. Obviously I have the mutated idea in mind as it is a natural response to a foreign body/ virus growing with living tissue. The problem with this idea is the animals/creatures would look too gruesome which is not effect I am trying to get. Showing too much would then fall into Resident Evil style of infections and mutation. These animals have to feel and look as though the pollution is apart of its own body and it isn't thirsting to kill etc, but just living as any other life form does.

One ideal style I have been using was inspired by an artist by the name of Zdzisław Beksinski, a renowned Polish painter, photographer, and sculptor. The images I came across are published in a book called 'The Fantastic Art of Beksinski' by James Cowan. His painting style expressing images in a fantasical surrealistic environments in a dream like state. I have always been a fan of surrealist artist such as H.R.Giger and Francis Bacon so to find Beksinski on a random search is extremely lucky and from his works I can say I am a fan.

In relation to my work, I can see certain aspects of certain paintings which I can relate back to my own. Even from his use to colour which the environments are chocked in a thick dirty mist of browns and dark oranges. This gives the idea of how the pollution should look in my concepts and is something to play around with. Not only that but the way he has depicted certain animal like forms, how they look to be woven into existence rather than birthed. It is fascinating to get such a creative idea from his images.





http://www.beksinski.pl/

My next blog will be my concept ideas for the wildlife/ creatures inspired by his work which I will compare the images above.

No comments:

Post a Comment